I have been so disappointed in Newsweek for so long. This past year has been one issue after another with nothing to offer but effusive gushing over Obama.
I think it is a sad day for journalism when a national news magazine of Newsweek's
I am a long time subscriber to the magazine but won't be renewing my subscription.
Here is a look at the last issue:
Newsweek sprinkled throughout its year-end double issue, with Barack Obama on the cover as the #1 member of "The New Global Elite," a bunch of potshots at Sarah Palin -- and even derided teen daughter Bristol too. In a list of those who committed "low behavior" during 2008 (which did at least also highlight John Edwards), the magazine accused Sarah Palin of a "smear" against Barack Obama, on another page Newsweek described her as an "ill-informed, inarticulate shopaholic" (while on the same page hailing MSNBC's Rachel Maddow as a "brilliant" woman who "gives libs a happy new voice") and deep in the December 29/January 5 edition the magazine ridiculed Bristol Palin: "For 30 years, the Moral Majority has promoted 'abstinence only.' Jamie Lynn Spears, Bristol Palin...how's that working out?" The specifics:
# Page 21, a list of "The Biggest Losers" of 2008 "who set the high-water mark for low behavior in 2008," featured Palin: "In a smear that sounds even worse in retrospect, Sarah Palin goes rogue and stirs up prejudice by accusing Barack Obama of 'palling around with terrorists.'"
# Ten pages later, in a full-page year in review version of the "Conventional Wisdom Watch" (not yet online in the posted CW), the newsweekly hit her and McCain, but admired Maddow:
- "Sarah Palin: Ill-informed, inarticulate shopaholic has ego bigger than Alaska -- and she's still the darling of the GOP."
- "John McCain: Hard to forgive the nasty end-game, and Palin pick was irresponsible. But classy concession speech and Letterman gig."
- "Rachel Maddow: Brilliant, ebullient, lefty lesbian gives libs a happy new voice. Will MSNBC be Obama's Fox?"
[This item, by the MRC's Brent Baker, was posted Friday on the MRC's blog, NewsBusters.org: newsbusters.org ]
Finally, page 79 has "The Power Index" (also seemingly not online) with a list of the magazine's arguments for whether figures in the news in 2008 were a "player or pretender?" Under "pretender," Newsweek discredited the Christian Right and Palin:
- "Christian Right: For 30 years, the Moral Majority has promoted 'abstinence only.' Jamie Lynn Spears, Bristol Palin...how's that working out?"
- "Sarah Palin: She seemed like McCain's silver bullet...until she opened her mouth. A 2012 contender if she starts boning up on issues. Now."
The "Biggest Losers" list: www.newsweek.com
Newsweek's "Conventional Wisdom" page: www.newsweek.com
The December 29/January 5 edition of the magazine: www.newsweek.com
© Janet Crain
Click here to view all recent Sarah Palin in 2012 posts